Advantages of Linoleum Flooring
Have you ever heard of linoleum flooring? Linoleum is a floor covering constructed of pine rosin, linoxyn (solidified linseed oil), wood flour, ground cork dust, and calcium carbonate, a mineral filler usually placed on a canvas or burlap backing. Linoleum has enjoyed over 150 years of popularity as an inexpensive material for areas of high usage.
What are some of the advantages of linoleum flooring?
• Since linoleum is made of linseed oil and tree bark, it's considered a green flooring option. This material is biodegradable and antibacterial and can be recycled after many years of use. It offers outstanding resistance to stains, scratches, and fading.
• Linoleum is durable and can take 30 to 40 years of continual daily use. It's perfect for high traffic flow and doesn't show signs of wear, making linoleum an excellent option for homes that have kids.
• Linoleum floors are available in many different colors, styles, and patterns and its factory-applied sealant protects its vibrant colors against stains and dirt. It's also available in vintage retro colors.
• Besides being durable, linoleum floors are water resistant (as well as other types of liquid), which makes it the perfect choice for bathrooms, laundry rooms, and kitchens. All you'll need is an occasional mopping because linoleum is very stain resistant and easy to clean.
• Linoleum is scuff and scratch resistant. The protective top layer wards off dirt, scratches, and scuffs easily. If you do get some small scratches, they can be removed by applying a thin layer of floor polish, using a lamb's wool mop. Larger scratches can be filled in with a mixture of linoleum dust and wood glue. Wipe away any excess paste, let it set for 24 to 48 hours, and then apply a sealer.
• We've saved the best for last - price! Linoleum is a great deal cheaper than many other flooring options you might be considering. Just remember to seal the linoleum after installation and at regular intervals in the years to come.
For more information on linoleum flooring and its benefits, contact our store today.